Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Power of the Keyboard

There were several days during my Christmas break where I meant to create a Blog entry but was upstairs and away from my computer. Rather than going back to my office, I pulled out one of my Android-based tablets and pontificated on the day's events. You can tell which days they were because the entries are significantly shorter than the others.

Don't get me wrong, I love using my tablets to look things up on the Internet or take short notes during meetings. They are just difficult to use to create a Blog entry. While your finger makes a great pointer, it makes a lousy substitute for a mouse when it comes to highlighting text. The on-screen keyboard found on any tablet is usable, but is no match for a real one. In the end it was just easier to use my laptop.

I have a friend that is wondering if he can replace his home computer with a tablet. Unfortunately I don't think either of the tablets I have are there yet. Perhaps I should spend some time at an electronics store and see if I can't get an external keyboard. I wonder if there is a way I can win one?

No comments:

Post a Comment